Philosophical Question - a Dapp marketplace for State Secrets!

RomanCryptoLionsRomanCryptoLions Posts: 41 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

The question is raised in this article: https://medium.com/@Bitcom21/the-long-game-in-crypto-why-decentralization-matters-fd681ff5ed0

If you were going to build a Dapp market place for state secrets, would you choose EOS and DPOS or something else?

If such a Dapp attempted to launch on EOS what would we do?

Comments

• privumprivum Posts: 10 Brand New

Great questions @RomanCryptoLions

I don't have the answers to your questions but I can tell you that we (Privum) have been having a similar debate for a while. We are going to launch an incentivised Tor-like network we call Privum soon, and we will be building our Dapp on EOS with DPOS, even though it does not have the same sovereign-grade censorship resistance as say BTC.

I have little doubt that Privum will be a threat to many entrenched interests (although not at the same level of the state secrets marketplace level you mention) and will therefore be attacked eventually.
    In our decision making process we carefully considered the pros and cons of the different blockchains and consensus algos out there and EOS's DPOS seems to strike the right balance between scalability and decentralization.

Yes 21 BPs are very small as compared to other blockchains, but I don't believe we'll see centralization because competition will foster more candidates for BP and it would be very hard to get them all to collude, specially since they will hopefully rotate often and new BPs will enter the fray.

Of course no one really knows how this will all play out, but I believe that if EOS begins to become too centralized in practice, tweaks will be made to keep it as decentralized as possible.

I'd love to hear what others in the community think. Am I being too optimistic or do you think competition will prove to have the right incentives to keep the BPs changing all the time?

• RomanCryptoLionsRomanCryptoLions Posts: 41 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

Cool project. How can I follow you guys? I can't seem to find anything with internet searches (or is that the point?).

I would not write-off EOS and DPOS as non-sovereign resistant. Really crazy stuff, like a market place for state secrets, may require its own chain with BPs specialized in secrecy and security, but I think it'd work.

Remember, the number of BPs is easily configurable.

Am I being too optimistic or do you think competition will prove to have the right incentives to keep the BPs changing all the time?

Meh. I think some BP rotation is actually a good thing. In fact, I spent a big chuck of today writing a policy paper in which we come out in favor of some BP rotation policies: https://steemit.com/eos/@cryptolions/crypto-lions-policy-positions-and-code-of-conduct

@RomanCryptoLions said:
    Cool project. How can I follow you guys? I can't seem to find anything with internet searches (or is that the point?).

I would not write-off EOS and DPOS as non-sovereign resistant. Really crazy stuff, like a market place for state secrets, may require its own chain with BPs specialized in secrecy and security, but I think it'd work.

Remember, the number of BPs is easily configurable.

Am I being too optimistic or do you think competition will prove to have the right incentives to keep the BPs changing all the time?

Meh. I think some BP rotation is actually a good thing. In fact, I spent a big chuck of today writing a policy paper in which we come out in favor of some BP rotation policies: https://steemit.com/eos/@cryptolions/crypto-lions-policy-positions-and-code-of-conduct

Yeah, we're still in stealth mode for now (this is our first public mention of the Privum network) but we will post more info to the community in the coming months. Our more "traditional" (ie non-blockchain) secure comms product, SecurLine has been in use globally for a couple of years and you can read all about it on the website www.privus.global. Since we already have secure client side apps like SecurLine, we decided to go one step further and build the underlying infrastructure too. Thus Privum was born.

Our idea is to use the main chain (for now anyway) but if we see that in practice it is not sovereign-resistant we will have to build our own with "paranoia" level BPs as you suggest.

Thanks for the paper. I'm going to take a look.

Cheers,
    Henrique

• Sam_SapoznickSam_Sapoznick Posts: 68 Member - 2/5 EOS Tokens

Should platforms like Wikileaks exist in the world? It's an open debate and there are good arguments on both sides, neither of which I'll engage here.

What I think should be taken into consideration is the strong impact on a given blockchain's reputation and ability to do business in many jurisdictions. It's really not in the interest of chain whose mission is to serve as a stable (read: non-controversial) place to do business, to also host (and thereby be unavoidably associated with) highly controversial use-cases such as Wikileaks-type platforms.

Does this mean I think there's no place for Wikileaks-ish platforms on blockchains? Not at all. I think that groups dedicated to this world-view and use-case should form their own chains, with separate block producer infrastructures and separate constitutions optimized for the extremely high-risk use case of whistle-blowing.

• RomanCryptoLionsRomanCryptoLions Posts: 41 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens
    edited April 27

That's my hunch as well, @Sam_Sapoznick .

really not in the interest of chain whose mission is to serve as a stable place to do business...

There'll be a chain for not-too-controversial business apps. And perhaps a different chain with different BPs for extremely controversial things like this -- and whatever authorities can play whack-a-mole with them.

• dshafrirdshafrir Posts: 4 Brand New

I think the argument here boils down to how much the block producers would be beholden to the laws of the land in which they are incorporated. It seems to me that the spirit of this project is to follow the laws, especially since BPs are widely open and well-known organizations. I refer to the spirit of the project since Thomas Cox's Choice of Law draft (Article XVII) does not explicitly call out the laws of the BP's home country as one of the choices. But the spirit is such that the aim of this blockchain is to facilitate mass adoption, make it as similar as possible to real life, and less like the "wild west" (which actually wasn't so wild, but I digress). The BPs would not want to paint a giant target on their chests. Much like the US government can seize domains and target certain websites and hosting services, I'm sure they'll lean heavily on American BPs (and likewise other jurisdictions), to put it mildly.

We're back.

As promised, we're slowly coming out of stealth at privum.io
    Come take a look at our site and help us build a privacy centric community on top of EOS. I know Dan has a controversial vision on privacy, which I believe to be very naive and unrealistic, but the beauty of open source and blockchain is that we don't have to agree on everything and ideological positions are largely irrelevant to computer code.

Any privacy loving EOS devs and open source geeks in general are more than welcome to join us. We'll be needing all the help we can get with such an ambitious project, and EOS is the perfect fit.