Adding timeago to post and comments

I think it would be quite useful to add timeago that would show the time that has passed since the post/comment was published (e.g. "4 minutes ago" or "about 1 day ago") rather than just the time.
This addon seems to do just that https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/timeago-plugin.
I don't know much about vanilla so i don't know if it works with this forum.
Adding timeago.js manually might also be possible or be the better option.

Comments

• KevKev Posts: 399 admin
    edited December 2017

Great suggestion and I submitted a ticket to Vanilla since I couldn't seem to implement it on my own. Their response below; at least they don't sacrifice security and performance:

Unfortunately, open source plugins cant plugins cant be used on the hosted version of vanilla. For security and stability reasons, we need to dedicate a developer to reviewing the code and making sure its compatible and scale with hosted software. They can be submitted for code review through services on certain plan levels.

This particular plugin does not have a hosted counterpart that I'm aware of, it looks like a feature that would not scale with larger sites.

• Sam_SapoznickSam_Sapoznick Posts: 68 Member - 2/5 EOS Tokens
    edited January 1

At present, all I am seeing on posts is "Month/Year", i.e. "December 2017". This is not very useful for understanding how current/active a thread is. Can it be changed to "4:50PM, Thurs. Dec. XX, 2017"?

• KevKev Posts: 399 admin

@Sam_Sapoznick said:
    At present, all I am seeing on posts is "Month/Year", i.e. "December 2017". This is not very useful for understanding how current/active a thread is. Can it be changed to "4:50PM, Thurs. Dec. XX, 2017"?

Old posts were broken when we tried to implement this timeago plugin with custom JavaScript - take a look at the newer posts, time/date should be working again.