Scatter wants YOU!

nsjamesnsjames Posts: 6 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

Hello fellow EOSians.

I'm preparing for the expansion of the Scatter team.
If you're not familiar with Scatter yet it's a browser extension which handles the bridge between users and dapps ( Think metamask on antibiotics ) with the added benefits of Identity ( Personal Information ) and permission ( Domain-Identity pairing & Transaction Whitelisting ) management.

Check out our landing page for a more in-depth explanation

Scatter 2.0 is in the making right now which will make the flow of the extension more focused on Identities and permissions, as well as targeting user experience to really take it to the next level and prepare for a consumer-centric release.

So what is Scatter looking for?

• Javascript ES6/7 Developers ( Chrome / Firefox / Brave )
  • Kotlin/Java Developers ( Android )
  • Educators
  • Marketers

Here's a little more information about each.

Javascript Developers

Scatter's browser extension is written in Javascript (ES6/7), Vue, html5, and SCSS. A rewrite is underway which will clean up and consolidate the project programmatically. If you have experience with extensions that's a bonus but not mandatory as they are for the most part just like any other web application apart from some limitations and different workflows. We are looking for developers who write clean, well documented and tested code. Scatter deals with people's private data and money, so the code needs to be provably stable, straight forward and understandable even for those who do not program for a living ( example: no shorthanded variable names ).

If you would like to see the code for Scatter 1.0 you can visit the GitHub repo here
Keep in mind though that Scatter 1.0 was a POC and the coding standards there are not to be reflected upon the release candidate.

Kotlin/Java Developers

Looking to the future, a large portion of users' time is spent on their phones and Android holds the lion's share. It would be beneficial for DApps and Scatter to be accessible on mobile devices in the same way that it is accessible inside the browser.
This can be accomplished using Intents. The Android project is in it's infancy and a POC will need to be created before it can be approved as an addition to the Scatter ecosystem.

On top of that, a Java RPC library might need to be created that mimics eosjs for native applications which do not have access
to javascript libraries, though the POC can be created using only eosjs for the sake of brevity. Individuals who would be interested in this undertaking would need to take full accountability for the project and the team surrounding it with minimal help from the Scatter desktop team.

Educators

An ecosystem is only as good as the people who know how to use it. As such, Scatter intends to invest a large portion of all future income into the education of developers who wish to integrate with Scatter, eosjs and EOS in general.

This would include:

• Always up-to-date elaborated documentation ( think Unity3d Documentation, not UE4 documentation ) of both Scatter and eosjs
  • Feature-centric video tutorials of eosjs and Scatter.
  • Fully fledged video tutorials of sample dapps created with eosjs and Scatter.
  • Video tutorials aimed at general consumers and not developers.

Though this is not an immediate position we would like to start taking on applicants now to save time later.

Marketers

You can have the best application in the world, which will still collect dust if no one knows about it.
Marketing is of great importance to Scatter and the dapps that will be built on top of it. It will be much easier for dapps integrating with Scatter to onboard if their soon-to-be users have not only already heard about it, but possibly also already have it set up. Marketers will eventually be working with Scatter's education team to provide the maximum value for potential consumers and dapps.

If you feel you could be another glorious piece to our fabulous puzzle contact me at [email protected] or you can contact me directly on telegram at nsjames (@Randomnobody)

Thanks all, and I hope to be hearing from those extremely talented people that I know are lurking here.

Comments

• liamliam Posts: 1 Brand New

Hi nsjames,

Thank you for making Scatter. EOS definitely needs a Metamask-equivalent for building secure DApps with less complexity, so it's great to see this project so far along.

Do you have any suggestions for developers who want to passively contribute? I see there is a Trello board setup.

I'm a JS developer with ~5-10 hrs/week I could spare for this project. Recently my primary focus has been Elm, Vue, WebComponents, and GraphQL. Github: https://github.com/liamcurry

Thanks,
    Liam

• nsjamesnsjames Posts: 6 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

@liam said:
    I'm a JS developer with ~5-10 hrs/week I could spare for this project. Recently my primary focus has been Elm, Vue, WebComponents, and GraphQL. Github: https://github.com/liamcurry

Hey Liam, we meet again :smile:
    Your github looks great, and your stack seems to fit.
    I'm going to go ahead and add you to the shortlist and when Scatter 2.0 hits github I'll pass it along and we can chat about where to go from there.

At the moment Scatter 1.0 is frozen and being deprecated, so no reason to waste time modifying that repo.

• tkaraivanovtkaraivanov Posts: 24 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

@nsjames check out the security issues described in this twitter thread:

This is probably something you might want to consider when designing scatter.

@tkaraivanov said:
    @nsjames check out the security issues described in this twitter thread:

Yup, already got that handled ;)
    Though the website would be able to see you have Scatter installed due to the nature of the extension, they would not be able to have any private information from you without your explicit consent. Which was and is a huge issue with MetaMask.

• stellabellestellabelle Posts: 24 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

Are these still your current needs or have you filled some of these roles?

• KevKev Posts: 399 admin

@stellabelle said:
    Are these still your current needs or have you filled some of these roles?

This is a question I'd already planned for Mr. James when we interview him next Monday on EOSRAD.IO! We're live 6pm EST / 2300 UTC - first show post with video record is here:
    https://busy.org/@eosgo/eosrad-io-02-26-18-interview-with-dan-calinescu-ceo-and-co-founder-of-fluid-trends-thomas-cox-q-and-a

• stellabellestellabelle Posts: 24 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

Ok thank you.

• cmichelcmichel Posts: 6 Brand New

Hi, just wondering if you're also considering React Native for the mobile app. Would probably be easy to get eosjs running on it, you could reuse some of your JS code, and it would be for both Android + iOS.

edited March 14

@cmichel said:
    Hi, just wondering if you're also considering React Native for the mobile app. Would probably be easy to get eosjs running on it, you could reuse some of your JS code, and it would be for both Android + iOS.

That's a great question I've yet to have too much time to delve into. The issue would be native intents that can interact with custom plugins for various applications/frameworks ( such as unity3d ). I see there's a bunch of community developed packages to support that within react native but none are particularly good.