Minimum Hardware Requirements

On Dec. 21 David Moss mentioned block.one is testing hardware and expects to release minimum requirements soon:

Competition is already high for BP spots - some Telegram caps of discussion from 12/22:

Comments

• RobRob Posts: 9 Brand New

One thing to note - that you just cut off is that David mentioned they were looking at other cloud providers and also were not exclusively into cloud so Colo could work - Block.one will be providing some information so its not a completely blind approach. I really think the infrastructure side is probably the most easy to resolve issue in the whole block producer conundrum, however with only 4 really large cloud providers there could be some need to ensure a bit of a mix.

• KevKev Posts: 399 admin

@Rob said:
    One thing to note - that you just cut off is that David mentioned they were looking at other cloud providers and also were not exclusively into cloud so Colo could work - Block.one will be providing some information so its not a completely blind approach.

True - thanks for pointing this out. Couple months ago I assumed BPs would mostly start off in cloud and build out a physical presence from the BP income - now as the price has risen so dramatically and BP rewards amount to many millions USD per month we're seeing heavy budgets with outside investment money interested in building a physical presence to attract votes immediately. Most people seem to understand that cementing an early BP spot could be a somewhat secure and lucrative business model - assuming they're able to produce blocks without mistakes or scaling issues.

I really think the infrastructure side is probably the most easy to resolve issue in the whole block producer conundrum, however with only 4 really large cloud providers there could be some need to ensure a bit of a mix.

I would've agreed with you before but now I wonder if voters will have such a plethora of specialized datacenter BP options they may shy away from BPs offering services on a cloud provider.

• MayadaJefferyMayadaJeffery Posts: 8 Brand New

Is there more updated information on this topic? Re: What general equipment would be needed and cost estimate involved with system requirements for being a potential block producer?

• thomasbcoxthomasbcox Posts: 148 Sr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

@MayadaJeffery said:
    Is there more updated information on this topic? Re: What general equipment would be needed and cost estimate involved with system requirements for being a potential block producer?

There is a plan to run tests and publish the results in the February - March timeframe that will shed light on likely hardware requirements. Bear in mind, nobody really knows what the final production main chain will be running in terms of DApps or transaction loads, so all such testing will need to be taken as "best guess" rather than as deterministic.

If this was helpful, please UPVOTE. If not, please REPLY so I can improve.

Thomas Cox
    blockchain governance expert - active in the EOSIO ecosystem
    US: +1 503.516.3886

(all opinions are my own)

• eosswedeneossweden Posts: 9 Brand New

Is there more updated and concrete information on this topic? "Re: What general equipment would be needed and cost estimate involved with system requirements for being a potential block producer?"