What Questions Should We Be Asking About the Worker Proposal System?

Branden_EspinozaBranden_Espinoza Posts: 7 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

"We're all hungry today for better answers. But first we must learn to ask the right questions." - A More Beautiful Question, page 9

Two days ago we opened up the EOSIO WPS (Worker Proposal System) Telegram Group for anyone to join to start discussing the future Worker Proposal (Common Fund) System. We asked that anyone who would like to be involved to withhold their suggestions about what they think the system should look like and instead to consider what questions should be answered prior to the design phase of the project. The group now has over 50 members and has been quite active.

As free-form conversations continue in the Telegram Group, some very important questions begin to take shape. The purpose of this thread is to capture the most substantive questions that emerge from those conversations. Anyone can add a question by commenting on this discussion.

Please consider the following insights from the book "A More Beautiful Question" by Warren Berger.

• Insight 1: Begin with "why...?" - Seek Understanding
  • Insight 2: Think about "what if..?" - Imagine possibilities
  • Insight 3: Consider "how might we...?" - Make things happen

Please post any questions you have thought of (or you have heard others share) that you feel are important... and remember:

"Often the worst thing you can do with a difficult question is to try to answer it too quickly." - A More Beautiful Question, page 34

Comments

• Branden_EspinozaBranden_Espinoza Posts: 7 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

How will the system attract the broadest range of Worker Proposals possible, from small to large, brief to lengthy, easy to hard, narrow to broad, niche to communal?

• Branden_EspinozaBranden_Espinoza Posts: 7 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

Why might the system need to censor a given project from being posted for a vote?

• bluejaysbluejays Posts: 66 admin

A couple questions come to mind:

1) How do we rate the success of a completed worker proposal?

2) Should we allocate funds proportionally to ensure a balanced set of proposals being funded?
    (IE: just made these up: 30% for education, and awareness, 20% for community building , 20% legal fund, 30% miscellaneous.

• RomanCryptoLionsRomanCryptoLions Posts: 44 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens
    edited June 7

Why should/shouldn't we assume there will be one single process for funding projects?

What if we thought in terms of "charters"? We plan to bring the WP proposal in front of the community anyway for a referendum. This happens no matter what. What if we considered referendums on WP proposals to be special referendums, and put them in their own category? What if we called that category charters? What if we allow side-by-side charters to exist simultaneously? So there could be the main way of funding projects, and there can by experimental charters with slightly different funding philosophy and a slightly different mission...

How might we evaluate the advantages/disadvantages?

As I see it, pros:

• Hedge against ineffective process.
    • Innovation and experimentation.
    • Marketplace for good ideas.

cons:

• complexity
    • potential for pockets of corruption
  • tkaraivanovtkaraivanov Posts: 24 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

1) Do we want the system to support projects that could have been funded through free market competition instead (i.e. can be profitable businesses)

2) How do we prevent the WP fund from turning into a way to earn dividends?

The second question makes the assumption that we want to prevent the WP fund from being used to earn dividends, but I think this is a pretty fair assumption to make. If we wanted voting to be a way to earn dividends, we would've allowed BPs to buy votes.

• doghousedoghouse Posts: 8 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens
    edited June 11

# Meta
    1. What bureaucracy do we envision for the system going forward?
    1.1. Do we need a formal company (could be a DAC) or just a forever ad hoc committee?
    2. Should we consider breaking up the worker found into different bureaucracies? For example:
    • a true worker proposal fund;
    • an ongoing government employee fund;
    • an education fund; and,
    • ECAF?
    3. Will we have permanent employees? Rotating volunteers? Paid positions?
    4. Will HR be an “internal process” or community decision?
    5. How will we budget this? (there is a clear conflict of interest.)
    6. Who will create and maintain the obligatory portal site and mail system?
    7. Should we be worried about scope creep? (Thanks Todor!)

# Judgements, appeal, and voting
    8. Will judgements be tiered: e.g., 50 -100 tokens one judge, 101-10,000 a triumvirate, >10,000 a tribunal of 12?
    8.1. If we use a tribunal, will we pick random jurors from the token holders to participate?
    9. What will be the process for turning ideas over for voting?
    9.1. Do we turn all ideas over to the masses? Or, just those that has our first inspection? Or, only those that are above a certain threshold?
    9.2. Do we make recommendations when we release them for voting?
    9.3. Do all projects require the same voting success (for example a project that cost 1 million tokens might require 85% approval from 40% of the token holders, While a 10k project might only require a committee‘s approval)
    10. Will there be a mechanism for appeal rejections?
    11. Will reject applicants have a method to present their case to the entire community?
    12. Can applicants bypass the process entirely by presenting to the entire community?

# Payments
    13. Will we have a single payment structure for all projects:
    • will we pay some projects upfront,
    • pay some of them on completion,
    • budget recurring payments for some, and
    • pay some in tranches based on milestones?
    13.1 have we considered that some projects will only require a seed stake?
    14. Will we pay fiat or tokens?
    14.1. if tokens will we make adjustments from time to time reflecting exchange rates?
    14.2. if fiat, will we handle banking with any particular bank? (this may be harder than you may suspect in today’s banking climate)

# Miscellaneous
    15. Do we choose projects that CAN succeed or projects that would be fantastic IF they succeed (if you see what I mean)? or some mixture, e.g. 80/20.
    16. Should we plan to matchmake between Ms. I-know-how-to-code, and Mr. I-have-a-great-idea?
    16.1. Should we set up a portal for to allow self-selection? (a list of companies with skills and a list of great ideas) or do we decide who we want working on some projects? I think we’ll need both.
    17. Are there any groups/types of groups/projects we will not fund?
    18. Are there any types of projects that are too important to give the voters a choice? I’m thinking lawyers, arbitration, Journalists such as EOSGO et al., lobbyists.
    19. are we willing to fund competing projects, or those with similar goals to existing for-profit companies?
    20. will we give any preference to diversity, ie, producing dapps, portals, mobile solutions; or produced by dacs, big companies, coders in mom's basement?
    21. will we allow BPs to make proposals?
    22. are we responsible for proposals to futz with the base code?
    23. are we responsible for github maintenance?
    24. if a paid version of X is available, will we support a free version and "sherlock" them?
    25. will we fund any charity?
    26. should we have an ombudsman?
    27. what is the threshold and causes AND CURES for voter apathy?
    28. will we bring in experts to assist in evaluating projects?
    29. will we fund and create a library of key documents esp hiring someone to create the missing manuals?
    30. do proposals require a stake to submit?
    31. will we work with forks, be impartial towards forks, be hostile towards forks?
    31.1 what about projects that run on sidechains?
    31.2 what about projects that are fully EOS compliant (constitution and code) but run separately?
    32. what types of law and lawyer should we consult, esp, in early days?

• contract law
    • non-profit regulations and standards?
    • tax laws (we take in inflation which could be seen as revenue -- we should key an eye to structuring system so 40% doesnt go straight to uncle Sam. we may need to use an island incorporation or the like)
    • securities
      32.1 which jurisdictions do we need to concern ourselves with?
    1. how best to hold ourselves accountable for best efforts to ensure best outcome for eos without letting ourselves be held accountable to second guessing failed ventures?
    2. would it make more sense to be a venture fund or an NGO? some combination?
    3. if all are not spent do we airdrop, hold, or burn?
      35.1 is there a different solution?
    4. do we want to be dominated by one philosophy, economic school, or any other social construct? or do we want to be more henotheistic in our approach to dispersal justifications? or true open experimentation? Should we allow any philosophy to guide us at all?
    5. Should we be trying to maintain any specific interest rate for the ecosystem?
      37.1 what is the "natural rate of interest" for EOS? How will we know? what are the indicators?
    6. must proposers defend or justify only in writing or will we invite them to join the discussion and answer questions we may have? would the process be the same for tiny grants?
    7. in case of favoring one proposal over another could the voting parties be sued as individuals or collectively?
      39.1 could the WPFC be sued?
      39.2. would it all be handled via arbitration?
      39.3. do we need a reserved arbitration defense fund?
    8. will we return, destroy, or archive rejected proposals?
    9. (I feel like I asked this already) who owns the work AND REVENUE created by a proposal? (if not open source -- i expect some people will be expecting a return on their work.)
      41.1 if WPF owns a portion of the revenue, does it get fed back into WPF, burned, etc.?
      41.2 If projects must be open-source, what license(s) do we insist on -- any, all?
    10. will we use funds to underwrite projects that pre-exist the fund?
    11. there is a terrible possibility of this fund taking over the government role of EOS -- how do we prevent? Do we prevent?
    12. do we encourage proposers look elsewhere for funding first?
    13. if this fund did not exist, would market forces be adequate to keep growth alive?
      45.1 do we consciously allow the likely strong opinions on both sides of this issue affect behavior?
      45.2 if the fund were burned after all essential things are paid for would that be acceptable to the community?
      45.2.1 what is essential?
      45.3 if the fund were airdropped after all essential things are paid for would that be acceptable to the community?
      45.4 what would be the net effect of an unholy compromise, i.e., even year burn, odd year share?
    14. is it better to err on the side of stingy or generous?
      46.1 why?
      46.2 what are the implications of going the other way?
    15. could wpf be use to fund projects with no application to Utility, eg use it to research space travel
    16. could we research a new tech that will kill/supplant EOS.
      48.1 Why not?
    17. is it better to prescreen largest ticket grants with Arb, or await the deluge of suits?
      49.1 is it within our mandate to reduce the firehouse of inflation pointed at us?
    18. if we start with a pure referenda system is there any way to shift at future need to a committee? and vice vera
  • PontsPonts Posts: 30 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

Can a worker proposal be used to pay the wages of employees at physical business locations related to EOS?

• EOSMediterraneanEOSMediterranean Posts: 4 Brand New

who will decide how well the projects are executed?

• RomanCryptoLionsRomanCryptoLions Posts: 44 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

What meta question preclude project questions?

• How will the community approve the worker proposal system we will suggest?

• Would it be good to have > 1 side-by-side systems?

• joshkauffmanjoshkauffman Posts: 21 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

-Do we want to spend at least XX% of the fund? Or is smart/well thought out spending more important?

-Is there any merit to burning unspent tokens?

-Should we release funds on periodic basis? Or will it be once any WP meets the approval threshold?

-Is there merit in requiring a portion of the allotted funds to be held in a performance bond for X days after delivery of the completed project to ensure ongoing support/debugging/proper integration?

Representative from EOS Canada
    All opinions my own unless stated otherwise

• tanishtanish Posts: 4 Brand New
    edited June 9
    1. What is the sole purpose of Worker Proposal? Should someone's proposal just focus on helping the community grow? Or could someone propose some project which indirectly will help the community(gaming/video platform)? If yes, who defines the thin line among the two?
    2. Will the worker proposal be rated? Maybe a famous member could propose something which cause of favourtism get more votes than a worthy project by no one. If yes, who rates them.
      3.I could see many third world countries proposing the marketing of EOS in their respective countries, how could we track the budget? If a forum like ECAF is established to take care of worker proposal will they get paid from the worker proposal?
    3. If I don't have much money and someone scammed me on the blockchain took all my EOS, could I propose help for some funds in worker proposal to fill the arbitration bond?
    4. Will the forums/foundation/communities always be dependent on the inflation to pay the dues and employees? Or, we could propose our own reserve to slowly take away the dependence ?
  • joshkauffmanjoshkauffman Posts: 21 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

If a worker proposal is to make a kind of dApp that will require a token to use it, should those tokens be airdropped to the community since they were funded by the community?

Representative from EOS Canada
    All opinions my own unless stated otherwise

1. do we want to create any sort of lending program as a means of funding (collection on defaults near impossible)
  • Orchid_NaeunOrchid_Naeun Posts: 1 Brand New
    1. Why do we need any rules at the first place?
    2. What if we do not have any rules but only questions and discussions?
    3. What if we appoint a leader from Block.one to implement first few WPs?
    4. What if we take first WP proposals and analyze them to get insights (before we set any rules, without any promise of implementation)?

@Orchid_Naeun said:

1. What if we take first WP proposals and analyze them to get insights (before we set any rules, without any promise of implementation)?

I tried to do that on Telegram but it was rejected as being too practical.

• CesarCesar Posts: 1 Brand New
    1. What if we consider transparency as a must and request 100% transparency from WPs and BPs?
    2. What if we make a job propose to Thomas Cox to have him as our Chief Executive Of Services? (CEOS)
  • eosdallaseosdallas Posts: 16 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens
    edited June 17
    1. Do we need a governing body to administrate and oversee the release of funds, or should this be voted 100% democratically through a portal? A mix of both?
    2. How might we develop a framework of best practices and standards to ensure only legitimate projects get considered and the system isn't gamed?
  • sflowers17sflowers17 Posts: 17 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

@joshkauffman said:
    -Do we want to spend at least XX% of the fund? Or is smart/well thought out spending more important?

-Should we release funds on periodic basis? Or will it be once any WP meets the approval threshold?

-Is there merit in requiring a portion of the allotted funds to be held in a performance bond for X days after delivery of the completed project to ensure ongoing support/debugging/proper integration?

For what it's worth I REALLY like this performance bond idea locking up X amount of funds for X amount of days after project completion :) Keeps skin in the game and ensures a finished working product. Parts and labor warranty :D

• jo_kyjo_ky Posts: 1 Brand New

What if we provided a mechanism, so that, the rate at which eos.saving funds are to be burned/destroyed is explicitly determined, on a periodic basis?

For example: a board of elected (could be, in part, appointed?) individuals meets every quarter to issue an opinion on the amount of funds that should be released to the WPS account vs be destroyed (as these would be the only actions allowed to the eos.saving account). To continue the example of an advisory board, it can't be pro forma, so to establish the necessity of this opinion being a legitimate one, Block.one could be pledged to follow the board's recommendation in its vote, controlling 10% of the total stake, on the relevant rates. Others would also follow the recommendation.

The advantage here is that now the WPS system is participating in a process of feedback that will help it to improve and adapt to the ways that EOS changes over the coming years. If it's just left up to the bare minimal options of having a constitutional referendum to make cuts to WPS, or no referendum, that's an unstable situation that, I believe, will lead to things breaking badly.

(from my Telegram comments, a few minutes ago)

• joseosjoseos Posts: 2 Brand New

How to encourage small tokenholders to get involved / feel their vote matters on proposals / how to make it matter?

Can proposals be approved via a token that becomes real eos once work is done amd vañidated?

Should standing BP or Stanbys be able/encouraged to underwrite or guarantee proposals they support?

Should proxy voting for WProps "selectors" and or "validators" be a way to incentivize people
    To specialize in the field of WP slectiom and QA? Separate delegation frol BP votes...

Is there any type of WP we can thibk of that would first be subject to arb? Can a proposal be sibject to arb before its voted on?

• joseosjoseos Posts: 2 Brand New

Wow. So many typos. Bedtime...

• turbotrainedbambooturbotrainedbamboo Posts: 30 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

How can we maintain an active interest in the community to actually pay attention to what WP's are going through? Voters get strange, and they stop voting easily. We want community approval, but not from a small dedicated group of die-hards (even though it's great to have groups like that).

Can we (Should we) incentivize participation in voting on worker proposals?

I want us to focus on a set of categories for proposals that we would attempt to bucket everyone into, obviously, this would have to evolve over time, but a living document for the time being outlining different types of proposals would be good. Organization is key, we want to be able to group, and then act per group in a particular way, especially on the initial vetting of these proposals.

I think we should consider cut-off's for votes (proposal must receive X% or greater or vote is irrelevant)

I think we should also consider how funds might be pushed through the system, if we're short on valid proposals and votes haven't come in to get any one of these off the drawing board, I think an initial fund release to the top voted project once the WPS fund grows over X (a hard limit or % of circulating supply).

@sflowers17 said:

@joshkauffman said:

For what it's worth I REALLY like this performance bond idea locking up X amount of funds for X amount of days after project completion :) Keeps skin in the game and ensures a finished working product. Parts and labor warranty :D

Yes me too - I think releasing the funds after approval has the potential for people to try to run away with it. Any kind of system that delivers payments w/ delays & milestones considered will really weed out the phishing attempts I am CERTAIN that will hit the WPS.

@doghouse said:
    51. do we want to create any sort of lending program as a means of funding (collection on defaults near impossible)

I think you said it "Collections on defaults near impossible". From what I've seen Crypto lending involves the use of an equivalent amount of collateral which is locked in a contract. Barely considered lending if you have the asset value already, although I do appreciate the difference.

• someoneElsesomeoneElse Posts: 22 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens
    1. Do we build an incentive framework for proposals, maintanence and improvements to the system?
    2. Can we do it without another token?
    3. If projects are voted on by a percentage of the EOS token holder population, what will the quorum be? Can it be much smaller, e.g. 4%? Or does this leave it open to whales dictating approved projects?
    4. Does the initial vote be for WPS operators/arbitrators, rather than each specific project?
    5. How do we prevent and identify black swan events (bad events that you can't see coming)?
    6. What is the minimum viable product and what consensus does that require if its created before a referendum?
    7. What are the risks involved in the MVP?
    8. Who is governing the initial stage and how are they accountable?