WPS: Discussion Question 1

Branden_EspinozaBranden_Espinoza Posts: 7 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens
edited June 4 in Worker Proposals

How will the system attract the broadest range of Worker Proposals possible, from small to large, brief to lengthy, easy to hard, narrow to broad, niche to populist?

Comments

• Branden_EspinozaBranden_Espinoza Posts: 7 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

I think one thing that may need to happen is to have different approval thresholds for different levels of funding (i.e EOS/TIME).

For example if some guy wants $200 to print distribute EOS stickers at a State Fair booth, he shouldn't be subject to the same voting requirements as someone whose project is requesting 2 million dollars over the course of a year.

• daithiorourkedaithiorourke Posts: 1 Brand New

I agree with this, submissions like this could be placed in a promotional category. With funding thresholds and limits.

• joshkauffmanjoshkauffman Posts: 21 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

A few things I think are worth discussing. In regards to:

-"from small to large" - Will there be different filing fees (assuming there is one at all) for different levels of funding? Will there be different approval thresholds for different levels of funding?

-"brief to lengthy" - (I'm making the assumption that this in regards to time to complete said Proposal) I think that rather than length of development time, it is more important to look at funding level and, along with their proposed timeline schedule, create multiple tranches to deliver funds. This would force 'longer' proposals to constantly seek approval for their project, forcing them to prove the worthiness of the project through progress reports perhaps?

-"easy to hard" - I think this will come down to "how do we explain complex things in a non-complex manner" so that the project's intentions are understood by the widest voting pool. I think this comes down to a project's team to have to garner their support. But I do foresee the issue with critical software challenges not being understood by the community at large, so I need to give this more thought.

-"narrow to broad" - I read this the same as the next part: niche to populist. I might be missing a nuance difference, if someone can fill me in.

-"niche to populist" - To me, this comes down to who ends up benefitting from the proposal. I'm of the mindset that this gets controlled by the approval process itself. An example would be if someone proposed a wallet that works on a very specific phone perhaps. So it's narrow in scope. But even though I don't have that phone, I may think there is benefit to that still being created. And if enough people think like that, then it should go through. So for me, this is more of a byproduct, rather than a design principle. But I'm open to changing that view if someone helps me.

Representative from EOS Canada
    All opinions my own unless stated otherwise

• doghousedoghouse Posts: 8 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

"niche to populist" should be "niche to communal". I'm already terribly afraid of Populist!

• Branden_EspinozaBranden_Espinoza Posts: 7 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

@doghouse said:
    "niche to populist" should be "niche to communal". I'm already terribly afraid of Populist!

Probably.

• someoneElsesomeoneElse Posts: 17 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

I would propose that a component of the WPS would involve education and "marketing" or awareness raising. For example, a website with very clear guidelines and good communications via different channels. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking though.

Another question could be, "How will the system approve the broadest range of Worker Proposals possible?"

• SamupahaSamupaha Posts: 52 Jr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

@joshkauffman said:

-"narrow to broad" - I read this the same as the next part: niche to populist. I might be missing a nuance difference, if someone can fill me in.

My definition: narrow = simple feature that does one thing; broad = complex feature that does many things.

-"niche to populist" - To me, this comes down to who ends up benefitting from the proposal. I'm of the mindset that this gets controlled by the approval process itself. An example would be if someone proposed a wallet that works on a very specific phone perhaps. So it's narrow in scope. But even though I don't have that phone, I may think there is benefit to that still being created. And if enough people think like that, then it should go through. So for me, this is more of a byproduct, rather than a design principle. But I'm open to changing that view if someone helps me.

Maybe better perspective is "indirect vs. direct benefits for the community".

Wallet for a specific phone would give direct benefit only for a few users. But if there are enough of them, and they are heavy-users, it can have indirect benefit for everybody.

A new feature for the blockchain that gets used by everybody is an example of direct benefit for the community.

• billbozbillboz Posts: 15 admin

Education and examples.

If we can organize example WPS in the way that you are describing in the same place that WPS is explained would be a great first step. Adding any descriptions necessary to help those that have ideas to feel confident in applying for any of these varied uses.

Is there a site for this already? A place that explains the WPS system that is.