What will an arbitrator on EOS look like?

EOS.IO Governance Telegram chat has had a few discussions about arbitrators and their role on the blockchain, resolving disputes and possibly serving as a head in the "three heads of power" (for an example, think of the U.S. government design with its balance of power between executive, legislative, and judicial branches).

Arbitrator backgrounds are undetermined, will these folks be required to have a law background in order to resolve disputes on the blockchain? Who will pay these arbitrators, the EOS DAC itself through a community fund or as a fee for the disputing parties? Interested in hearing others' thoughts below, as this seems it could definitely be a job opportunity in EOS.

Also re-posting this in the Governance, Econ and Philosophy forums here for better exposure.

Comments

• JamesLsalmonJamesLsalmon Posts: 1 Brand New

I am an attorney by training but I now own a consulting company the helps stakeholders in the built environment increase efficiency and productivity through continuous improvement processes. In my role as an attorney and as a consultant I advise clients on dispute resolution mechanisms of all kinds and I would be glad to work with the EOS community to establish effective alternative dispute resolution mechanisms. Mediation, arbitration and litigation all have advantages and disadvantages. The key is to put effective tools and processes in place BEFORE disputes arise. As a trained mediator and arbitrator 'd be glad to provide dispute resolution services to members of the EOS community - I've conducted mediation online through skype / gotomeeting and similar platforms - but again, and more importantly, I'd be interested in working with interested players to establish effective dispute resolution mechanisms that we embed in smart contracts at the outset.

James

• thomasbcoxthomasbcox Posts: 148 Sr. Member - 1/5 EOS Tokens

James, that is a wonderful idea.

If this was helpful, please UPVOTE. If not, please REPLY so I can improve.

Thomas Cox
    blockchain governance expert - active in the EOSIO ecosystem
    US: +1 503.516.3886

(all opinions are my own)

• shar53shar53 Posts: 1 Brand New

The EOS community won't need litigation. If we have to go that far we have failed to devise effective dispute resolution. There is no room for lawsuits in this space (centralization). What I suggest is the community votes to make a team of arbiters to resolve EOS community disputes according to current and future policies.

This isn't about smart contracts, it's about the potential of discourse when disagreements arise in the EOS blockchain community & government body. Leave the developers and others to build their ideas and business on the EOS blockchain; they will have their own rules they abide by but to initiate law when rules are already set is moot. It only invites trouble.

That's exactly why the blockchain will overtake traditional ways of business: decentralized means knocking out all the nickel and diming of regulations known as centralization. The simple way would be that all who enter into the EOS ecosystem are subject to the final decisions of the team of EOS arbiters should discourse arise. Should there be more than one team of arbiters...let's vote on it!