Blockchain Launch Party Network - Proposal and Discussion

KevKev
edited December 2017 in General

Yesterday in the BlockPros Telegram - Ian Grigg confirmed that we the community are responsible for any launch parties or activities surrounding the EOS genesis block.

Which got me thinking about a blockchain launch network for anyone hosting meetups in their city. EOS Go would apply for funding from block.one and attempt to offer a "franchise model" launch party packet for interested meetup hosts, including:

• Funding for a venue - either funneled through EOS Go to interested parties, or through a channel from block.one to the qualified host, as vetted by the EOS Go community.
  • Additional budget for party items such as food, organizers, decorations, disco ball etc
  • Template invitations and graphics
  • Exclusive launch T-shirts and/or other swag
  • Live-stream hangout for party to plug into
  • Proposed agenda for host to modify as needed

What are the qualifiers for a "franchisee" to successfully secure funding?

• At least two local meetups before April 15, 2018 with video or photo evidence
  • Team of two or more organizers?

I'm opening this discussion to you guys for further ideas - how should the application process work? Do we have a max number of parties? How do we ensure the funding is spent appropriately?

Also paging @thomasbcox - are we misguided in thinking block.one could provide funding for an initiative such as this?

Comments

• Who can and should plan, and pay for, launch parties?

@Kev said:

Yesterday in the BlockPros Telegram - Ian Grigg confirmed that we the community are responsible for any launch parties or activities surrounding the EOS genesis block.

Also paging @thomasbcox - are we misguided in thinking block.one could provide funding for an initiative such as this?

I'd be inclined to start with the design pattern that's working today, the local EOS.IO Meetups. The interface between local Meetups and block.one corporate is pretty clear. The Meetups are independent and user-driven, much like fan-fiction sites are independent of the author or publisher, and many sports fan groups are independent of the team they cheer for.

Read this link:
    https://steemit.com/eos/@eosio/start-an-eos-meetup-in-your-community

Then, contact events@block.one for more information about what they are willing to do (swag? funds? set up a live video link with a remote speaker? send a live in-person speaker?)

My best suggestion is to follow a pattern something like this:
    1. Create a local EOS.IO meetup
    2. Prove to yourself and others that there's a local community of interest
    3. Start supporting local projects building on the EOS.IO Software
    4. Schedule your launch party
    5. Ask for help with your party

• @thomasbcox said:
    Who can and should plan, and pay for, launch parties?

I'd be inclined to start with the design pattern that's working today, the local EOS.IO Meetups. The interface between local Meetups and block.one corporate is pretty clear. The Meetups are independent and user-driven, much like fan-fiction sites are independent of the author or publisher, and many sports fan groups are independent of the team they cheer for.

Read this link:
    https://steemit.com/eos/@eosio/start-an-eos-meetup-in-your-community

Then, contact events@block.one for more information about what they are willing to do (swag? funds? set up a live video link with a remote speaker? send a live in-person speaker?)

My best suggestion is to follow a pattern something like this:
    1. Create a local EOS.IO meetup
    2. Prove to yourself and others that there's a local community of interest
    3. Start supporting local projects building on the EOS.IO Software
    4. Schedule your launch party
    5. Ask for help with your party

Thank you Thomas, this is excellent advice for general launch party build up - perhaps when it comes to coordinating these parties we can sticky a launch party intent post with everyone's proposed itinerary, location, and perhaps expected voter weight? It'd be ideal to know roughly how much weight we can expect to throw behind a united chain.

I suppose this is being handled by block.one moreso than I realized, which is somewhat comforting given the logistical quagmire a coordinated international launch of new tech could be.

• The good news is, the date is already set. ;-)

• Nice idea!

I can help out in London. We already have a meetup group in LDN, so I will post a suggestion there as a discussion thread (if it's not already there)

Mark

• KevKev
    edited January 2018

@markants said:
    Nice idea!

I can help out in London. We already have a meetup group in LDN, so I will post a suggestion there as a discussion thread (if it's not already there)

Mark

This is phenomenal, I believe you guys have the largest EOS meetup in the world right now? We may need a specific place to generate the genesis block and a deciding factor on where that could be depends on the size of the local community and its meetups.